Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many students live at St Mary’s College?

There are 161 undergraduate students predominantly from regional Victoria, but we also have several students from interstate and overseas, including exchange students. St Mary’s aims to maintain a diverse mix of students – so although we’re a Catholic college, we welcome students from all religious traditions and none. Our residents are primarily students of the University of Melbourne (with representation across the undergraduate courses); however, we also welcome a very small number of students from ACU, Monash Pharmacy and RMIT.

  • Are all the meals provided?

Yes. Each day, our chef and kitchen team prepare delicious, home-style cooked meals. All dietary requests can be accommodated. See College Facilities – Meals.

  • What if I miss meal times because of a late lecture, or another reason?

If you know in advance that you’ll need to eat early or late, then it’s easy to notify the kitchen ahead of time, and there will be an early/late dinner put aside.

In addition, there is a kitchenette which is open 24 hours a day, where you will find bread, cheese, cereal and milk – so you’ll never go hungry! See College Facilities – Meals

  • Does each student have his/her own bedroom?

Yes, students have their own warm and comfortable bedrooms, all recently renovated. Each room has its own basin with hot and cold water, WiFi, plus all the furniture you’ll need. Each room has individually adjustable hydronic heating.
See College Facilities – Accommodation

  • What are the security measures in place at College?

Each bedroom door is accessed via an electronic security fob, which is also used to enter all external doors in the college.

You can come and go from college as you please, but if you’re going to be away over the weekend or for an extended period, please advise your Floor Mentor. See College Facilities – Accommodation

  • Are friends and family welcome to visit at College?
      • Friends and family are welcome to visit during the day, at any time. We simply ask that you escort your visitors.

Each College resident may bring up to five guests for dinner throughout the year.

There is a charge of $10 if you have a guest to stay overnight. This includes the hire of mattress and linen.

  • Are there opportunities to meet students from other Colleges?

Yes: Through social activities such as the extensive Intercollegiate Sports events, Cultural activities and the various College Balls. The Academic Centre is shared with Newman College.

    • St Mary’s offers a high quality academic support program in the evenings, and most of your subjects will be included.
      • Are students able to bring a car from home? Is there car parking available?

      There is limited car parking available for senior students, with an associated cost.

      • Do most of the students have part-time jobs?

      Many students take the first few months to settle into College life, before looking for part-time work. There are job opportunities at the University campus, or around the restaurants, cafés and shops of Lygon Street, or in the CBD, a short tram ride away.

    • What happens on the weekend? Do students stay at College or go home?

    On any given weekend, there will be some students who go home and some who stay. You’re free to come and go as you please, depending on work, study or social commitments. A St Mary’s calendar is distributed at the beginning of the year, so that students can plan weekends home. However, for many regional, interstate and overseas students, it’s too far to make regular trips home.

    • Will I have to move out during winter and summer break?

    No, you won’t have to move out. Your fees cover the entire academic year including the winter break at the end of Semester 1. However, you will need to move out at the end of Semester 2 in October or November. Your fees cover you until 24 hours after your last exam.  We are unable to offer accommodation to students over the Summer Term or vacation period as the College hires out our rooms to conference guests during this time. Any special requests or variations need to be made in writing to the Principal. See Fees – Fees and Charges.

    • Are there computer and printing facilities?

    Our Academic Centre offers all the facilities you will need for your coursework, including PCs, printer/photocopier and document binder.

    Each wing also has its own printer.

    NOTE: For specific questions regarding the Application process, please refer to the University website: