Who can apply?
St Mary’s College welcomes applications from any undergraduate or postgraduate student who intends to study, or is currently studying, at Melbourne University. Each year we reserve a very limited number of positions for students who are currently studying, or intending to study, at ACU, RMIT and Monash Pharmacy. Students applying to universities other than Melbourne are encouraged to have a back-up accommodation plan, as we receive far more applications for these positions than we can accommodate, and many students are disappointed each year. St Mary’s College is affiliated with Melbourne University, therefore we have a fixed quota of positions that can be allocated to students from other institutions – these quotas are determined by Melbourne University.
We accept students from rural and regional Victoria, Interstate and Overseas. We also offer accommodation for Exchange students.
If you are a responsibile, mature and hard-working post-graduate student, you may be interested in becoming a Residential Tutor. Please see our employment page or contact the Dean & Deputy Principal before submitting an application.
What is the selection process?
A great deal of care and consideration goes into selecting our students each year. We are looking for responsible, self-motivated people who will contribute to the various aspects of College life – academic, social, sporting, cultural and spiritual – and who will embrace the rich opportunities offered to our College community. With every applicant, we consider the following factors:
- Strong academic achievement, including ATAR scores.
- Enthusiastic involvement in sporting, cultural or other extra-curricular activities.
- History of participation in a variety of clubs and organisations, reflecting an appetite for communal living and community spirit.
- Commitment to social justice activities and the welfare of others.
- Personal characteristics that include maturity, inclusiveness and respect for self and others.
- Family connection to St Mary’s College is considered, but is not sufficient grounds for receiving an offer of residence.
Here’s how to apply
Step 1: Submit your Application
All applications must be made online via The University of Melbourne Intercollegiate Website – https://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au/apply-now.html. Only one application form is required, where you list your order of preference. The Intercollegiate office will forward your application to St Mary’s, your college of first choice. It’s important to list your preferred College first, as all Colleges receive more applications than available offers. This is especially true of the larger Colleges, where the selection process is particularly competitive.
Step 2: Application Received
Receipt of your application will be acknowledged via email by our office.
Step 3: Submit Accompanying Documents
- Complete and return the following to St Mary’s College:
- Completed Statement of Application
- Completed Letter of Reference
- Latest School report or University transcript
- 2 passport size photographs
- Application fee of $75.00 (non-refundable).Step 4: Book an InterviewOnce the above documentation and fee have been submitted to St Mary’s, the College will make contact with you to arrange an interview with the Principal or Dean & Deputy Principal.Step 5: ATAR Score and University AcceptancePlease forward a copy of your ATAR score to St Mary’s as it becomes available, or your University results if you’re already attending the University. You must also advise St Mary’s of your study course as soon as you’ve accepted a place from the University. If you’ve accepted a university place but have decided to defer your start date, please advise St Mary’s immediately.Offers of ResidencyOffers for a place at St Mary’s College can only be made when the VTAC course offers are released, usually in late January. If you’re successful, you’ll receive a formal letter of offer at that time. If St Mary’s is unable to accommodate you, your application will be forwarded to the Intercollegiate Pool Office, to be reviewed by your subsequent Colleges of preference.
For further information regarding the Application process, please refer to the University’s website: http://www.colleges.unimelb.edu.au/future-students/faqs.html